Prof.(Dr.) R. Venkata Rao
National Law School of India University Nagarbhavi, Bangalore
Prof.(Dr.) R. Venkata Rao, born on 15th March, 1954, is the Vice Chancellor of the National Law School of India University Bangalore. He has assumed the office of the Vice Chancellor of National Law School of India University, Bangalore on 11th May, 2009. National Law School of India University, Bangalore is the premier centre of Legal Education. His Academic Qualifications are B.A.(Hons.) Litt., M.A. (Litt), M.L. and Ph.D.
Prof. Rao has served for 31 years in the Faculty of Law, Andhra University in various capacities as the Dean, Faculty of Law, Principal, University College of Law, Chairman, Board of Studies in Law and Head of the Department of Law. He was the Director of Centre of Criminal Justice Andhra University from 1997-2009. He also served as the Dean of Student’s Affairs, Andhra University and as the Officer on Special Duty, Andhra University. He also served as the Member of Executive Council of Andhra University from 2005 to 2007.
At present he is a Member of the:
- Executive Council, Chanakya National Law University, Patna,
- General Council, National Law University, Bhopal,
- Executive Council,Dr. Damodaran Sanjeevaiah National Law University,Visakhapatnam,
- Executive Council, National Law University, Delhi
- Academic Council, National Law Univeristy, Odisha
- Academic Council, Karnataka State Law University, Hubli
- Governing Council, Indian Law Institute
- Advisory Board of Institute of Genetic Awareness and Applied Research, Nova, Southeastern University, U.S.A., among others.
He has served as the
- Vice President, Indian Society of International Law, New Delhi,
- Member, Academic Committee of Indian Institute of Public Administration, New Delhi,
- Member, Council, Indian Institute of Sciences, Bangalore
- Member Academic Council and General Council of NALSAR, Hyderabad.
He has the distinction of receiving the Best Teacher Award from the Government of Andhra Pradesh in 2006, the Best Researcher Award from the Andhra University in 2003 and Gold Medal for the Best Ph.D. Thesis.
He has been associated with several prestigious bodies like Union Public Service Commission (UPSC), New Delhi, University Grants Commission (UGC), New Delhi, National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC), Bangalore, several Ministries in the Government of India, several Universities in India and Abroad as Expert in various Committees.
His primary area of research is Human Rights, Humanitarian Law and Criminal Justice. He has guided successfully 16 Ph.D. and more than 75 M. Phil scholars.
He has participated in a number of International and National Conferences and delivered a number of Key- note Addresses. To date he has published more than 120 papers in journal of National and International repute apart from presenting several papers in National and International Seminars.
He has visited Almati (Kazakhstan), Geneva, Germany, Thailand, United States of America, Italy, Malaysia, Argentina, Nepal, Japan, Dubai, Mexico, Bhutan, China, Sweden, Kish Island (Iran), Russia, Singapore, Shanghai, Munich, Seoul, Istanbul, Dhaka and Colombo, among others.
He served as Chairman, Board of Governors, Asian Law Institute (ASLI) for the year 2010-2011.
He has been an Independent Director in prestigious Public Sector Undertakings like:
Bharat Electronics Ltd (BEL), Bangalore (From December 2010 to December 2013).
Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL), Bangalore (From March 2011 to March 2014),
At present he is an Independent Director in Goa Shipyard Ltd, Goa and a member, Board of Governors, Indian Institute of Corporate Affairs (IICA), New Delhi.
He is also a member of Legal Education Committee and the Equivalence Committee of the Bar Council of India.
He was a member of the Task Force Committee constituted by Government of India for suggesting reforms in the Modernization and self-reliance of Defence Sector.